Friday, January 9, 2009

THE SIGN

My friend, lets call him, Sprian, Martian has an unhealthy obsession with the “Swedish pop lyrical powerhouse with unparalleled dance beats” (his words, not mine) known as Ace of Base. Not a day goes by that he walks/dances into the office singing “I saw the sign” or “All that she wants” arguably the BEST songs produced in the 90’s. He has choreographed dances for both of these amazing songs that he regularly brings out at his house parties. VISUAL!
Go ahead, ask him a fact. He knows them all. He knows that they are the only Scandinavian artist to enjoy a #1 album on Billboard charts, and he knows the name of that album (The Sign).
He knows that before becoming Ace of Base they toured as Tech Noir which was a fast-paced high energy and Techno-oriented group. (I can’t even make this stuff up)
He likes/loves obsessively, the re-make they did of Cruel Summer, a song made popular in the Karate Kid movie. (Aw Ralph Macchio, remember him? What ever happened to him?) I’ll blog about him later.
When you ask him about his day, he often answers solely in Ace of Base Lyrics.

Me: Sprian, how’s your day going?

Sprian: I saw the sign and it’s opened up my eyes.

Me: Really? Huh…What did the sign say?

Sprian: All that she wants is another baby.

Me: Really? What brought her to this conclusion?

Sprain: When she woke up late in the morning light And the day had just begun She opened up her eyes and thought Oh what a morning It's not a day for work It's a day for catching tan Just laying on the beach and having fun

Me: Oh…I don’t really know what to do with that.

Sprian: It's a cruel, (cruel) cruel summer Leaving me here on my own

Me: Alrighty then…have a great day!

I’m worried about him.

3 comments:

RyanRE said...

Wow... this Sprian guy sounds like a real dork. I bet the two of you waste hours head banging to A of B.

Sweet Caroline said...

I like him. I like him a lot. I will learn from him...

When I walk down the street I sing these lyrics:

Well..you can tell by the way I use my walk I'm a woman's man, no time to talk....

I visualize John Travolta walking with his strut..

Damn. I am showing my age!

Abbey Chase said...

I'll never forget the day my dad picked me up at Jr. high with an Ace of Base tape in the car. He thought he was the coolest dad ever, and he knew the words!!! I'm pretty sure I would have rather walked the 2 miles home!